Hurricane Cleanup & Home Repairs: Finding the Right Professionals
Knowing a storm is coming is an unnerving thing. You can do all the right things to prepare your home and family, but some things are out of your control. This time of year brings us hurricane season, and unfortunately, this year is bringing some serious and devastating storms. So much devastation has already been caused with Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Irma that people are now not only looking at how to protect their homes before more hurricanes come, but also how to clean and repair the damage already caused.
Before the Storm Hits
There are a few things to do before the storm hits to help keep your home a little safer, but as mentioned, sometimes you can do all the right things, but with the ferocity of these storms, damage may be inevitable. But do go ahead and make sure you are doing these things recommended by Disaster Safety if you are in a threatened area:
- Bring in or secure loose items, like trash cans and outdoor furniture so they won’t be tossed in the air by the storm and cause damage.
- Check to make sure your gutters are secured and that you have kept up with gutter cleaning.
- Trim any dead branches off of trees and dispose of these branches properly.
- See that seals and caulking around doors and windows is in good condition to help keep water out.
- Test your generator before the storm and make sure you have gas if it is gas powered.
After the Storm
Assessing your storm damage after a major hurricane may be as stress inducing as preparing your home for the storm. You may be faced with not only basic cleanup but also repairs if damage was done. Unfortunately, the time after a major storm can bring out the scam artists and some unreputable business people. According to the Better Business Bureau, there are some things to watch for to make sure honest companies do your repairs.
- Be careful if you are considering a company that came knocking on your door. Sure, sometimes these are legitimate, but often these may not be the people you would choose if they weren’t right in front of you.
- Check to make sure the company and all employees have insurance, including liability and worker’s comp.
- Get everything in writing, from the beginning to end of the project, including initial quotes and assessments and final receipts of payment.
- Use companies with good reputations, ratings, and backgrounds. For instance, when repairing gutters or if you need to install gutters, a company like Harry Helmet will deliver what they promise. Schedule a free estimate.
- Ask trusted friends and check ratings to find good companies and contractors.
- Take your time. It may be tempting to jump at the first contractor you find, but you may get a better price and better service if you take a little time to find and research quality companies.
- Check with your own insurance company and to see what they will cover and find out about deductibles and any protocol or fine print you may be unaware of. Starting with a call to your insurance company can help you avoid surprises related to what is covered and what is not.
These hurricanes are not to be taken lightly. They are dangerous, devastating storms causing immense damage. A lot of work is involved in preparing beforehand, staying safe during and repairing damage afterward the storms. However, the main priority is safety, so make sure you and your family stay safe; damage to your home is secondary.
Contact us to schedule a free estimate.