You may know that your home’s gutters help protect your roof from water damage, but did you know that they also protect the siding and foundation of your home, and even your landscaping? It’s true.
That means that when it’s time for the important job of gutter replacement, you’ll want to choose the best option available – at an affordable price, of course.
Let’s take a look at some of the things you should know about the cost of replacing gutters.
Figuring out the cost of your gutter replacement project starts with the material you choose for your gutters: vinyl, aluminum, stainless steel, or copper gutters. Each material has its own price range, which can vary from state to state and city to city.
Aluminum and vinyl gutters are more affordable, but copper gutters, while the most expensive, tend to last longer. The decision about which material to use may depend on more than just price, but for most homeowners, price is an important factor.
Take a look at the average cost for gutters in your area:
|Type of Gutter||Cost per Foot|
|Aluminum||$4.58 – $10.87|
|Vinyl||$4.28 – $5.90|
|Steel||$7.42 – $8.12|
|Copper||$31.17 – $33.31|
Other Factors that Influence Gutter Replacement Costs
While the material you choose matters, it’s important to be aware of the other costs that can influence the final price for gutter replacement.
In addition to the material itself, some of the factors that impact cost include:
- Labor: Labor costs, like material costs, often vary by location.
- Gutter size: The standard size for gutters is about five inches. If you need larger or custom-sized gutters, you’ll probably need to pay more.
- Size of your home: The size of your home affects how much material will be needed and how challenging the job will be, and this will affect your final cost.
- Layout of the roof: More complex roofs require more work and will cost more. For example, if your roof has extra downspouts, an unusual shape, or many corners, this will add to the cost.
- Debris removal: The existing gutters will need to be removed and taken away for the new gutters to be installed. This can add to the final cost too, if it isn’t included in the estimate given to you by your contractor.
- Add-ons: Need new splash blocks? Want a gutter heating system? How about gutter covers? Add-ons enhance your gutter system, but will increase the final cost.
Questions to Ask Your Contractor
Choosing the right contractor for your gutter replacement project is important. You need a contractor who does high-quality work and stands by it. Take a look at some of the questions you should ask your gutter contractor.
- How much does the estimated cost? What is included in my estimate?
- Is gutter replacement something your company specializes in?
- Can you show me some examples of work you’ve done locally?
- Is your company insured and bonded? Can I see your license?
- What are my warranty options? How long will my warranty last?
Harry Helmet has been working on homes like yours for decades. If you’re ready to replace your gutter system, we’re here to help. Contact us to schedule a free estimate.